There are many people who love wearing coral jewellery pieces. But there are only a few who love making jewellery for themselves. With a DIY necklace, you can show your creativity, without spending a large amount of money on it. Using sea urchins as jewellery is one of the most interesting things.
A little information about sea urchins -
Sea urchins are globular animals with spines that are 3 to 10 cm long. These creatures move very slowly, as they crawl with their tube feet, and pushing themselves with the help of the spines. They primarily feed on algae and slow-moving animals. They are widely used as home decor and jewellery pieces across the world.
DIY sea urchin necklace -
There are only a few simple steps to make a beautiful sea urchin necklace for yourself, which will cost you just a few bucks. You can also customize it according to your wish, adding beads and other things to the necklace.
Things you will need:
- English channel sea urchin
- super glue
- 16 gauge craft wire
- Air-dry clay
- A clear water-based sealer
- wire cutters
- pearls or beads
- necklace chain
You can easily get these supplies from any craft supply local store except the urchin. To buy the best quality sea urchin for sale, visit North Florida Shells, which is an online store that offers sea creatures at the best prices.
Procedure to follow:
- Since urchins are delicate and breakable, use the sealer for spraying the urchin, which will help to make the shell stronger.
- Keep it aside and let it dry. Once it is done, take the air-dry clay and press a small amount of it into the urchin’s inside part. Pack it in tight.
- Twist a small piece of the wire and carefully insert it into the urchin’s backside, where you have pressed the clay. Put some more clay on it so that it can hold the wire piece.
- Flip the urchin around and stick a pearl or bead on top of it by pressing it a bit. To make sure that it sticks properly, use the super glue and let it dry.
- It will take a day or two for the clay to completely dry. Once it is dry, use the super glue again to stick the bead or pearl permanently.
There are a lot of ways by which you can adorn the necklace you made. You can try pearls, beads, headpins, and other decorative pieces that can work excellent with your sea urchin necklace. Also, spray a few more times with the sealer to make the jewellery piece stronger.
Handmade sea urchin necklace looks like a standout piece from any regular jewellery collection. Contact us for any queries, concerns or ideas regarding our products. Give us a call at 386.758.1304 or send us an email on [email protected].