Hermit crabs may not seem friendly to most of us. But it is a fact that they are one of the best pets for kids and perfect companions for adults. However, before bringing them home, you must know that these crabs need proper care, or else they might become crabby with their owners.
What Does Your Hermit Crab Need?
Hermit Crabs are extremely simple to care for. However, there are a few do's and don'ts that are important to consider while keeping them in your home-
· New Hermit Crab Shells - A healthy hermit crab needs new shells regularly as it grows in size regularly. So, it is always a smart move to provide your pet with at least 2-3 options when it comes to hermit crab shells. Search for shells that are 10-15 percent larger than your crab's current shell.
North Florida Shells offers an extensive range of hermit crab shells that are naturally extracted from nature. Our collection includes painted shells also. All our products are of the best quality, yet offered at attractive prices. You can also search for other dried sea creatures such as sea urchins, starfish, etc.
· Adequate Tank Size - These crabs may be small in size, but they do grow with time and are active. Therefore they need sufficient space to live. A 10-20 gallon tank is perfect for 1-3 crabs. If you have more than that, then search for bigger containers. This provides a more stimulating and enriching environment for your pet.
· Comfortable Temperatures - Hermits are tropical creatures and require temperatures between 75-85 degrees. This might need a tank heater. Also, make sure not to place the tank near a vent or sunny window, as it can impact the temperature of the tank.
· Clean Water - These creatures need access to fresh as well as saltwater to balance the salinity of their hermit crab shells. Therefore, it is essential to make sure that the water is clean and free of chlorine and other chemicals as hermit crabs are highly susceptible to contamination.
· Plants - One of the best additions to any hermit crab habitat is plants. You can add a variety of them, such as natural bamboo, air plants, and spider plants. They also look good as decor and works as an occasional snack for the curious hermit crabs.
· Varied Diet - Hermit crabs need a varied diet that can provide them with proper nutrition. It should be kept in mind that the crab pellets make a basic diet; however, it should include fruits and vegetables, bits of raw meat, brine shrimp, krill, etc.
The Conclusion -
Crabs can be a lot of fun and one of the best pets to enjoy. But you must take proper care of them. So, what are you thinking about? Bring your hermit crabs now and get a companion to spend some good time together!